Airsoft Gas Gun Forum

A Forum dedicated to the use and customization of high end gas rifles, hand guns and many more...

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

How to: install metal mag catcher in glocks (5 easy steps)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 137
Location, where do you live? : Walnut Creek, CA
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: How to: install metal mag catcher in glocks (5 easy steps)   Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:38 pm

How to install metal mag catcher in Glocks

Unfortunately the KWA Glock 19 does not come with a metal mag catcher. Over time the plastic can wear out, especially if you have an extended mag. The mag may fall out and be damaged. The plastic one is fine for a while. But I would suggest people go out and buy a new mag catch eventually.

There are also a large number of different brands that carry these mag catches. I decided to buy the G&G mag catch. I bought it for $10 at Airsoft extreme here: http://www.airsoftextreme.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1039

Follow these 5 easy steps and you will have your new mag catch installed (I am not sure if this is what you do for every Glock model but I am assuming it is):

Step 1: Take off the slide

To take of the slide is very simple. Just remove the mag and pull down on the two bars running on each side of the frame directly above the trigger. While holding those down pull back the slide and then push it forward. It should slide forward all the way and easily slide off.

At this point your gun should like this:

Step 2: Remove old mag catch

Ok now that you have taken off the slide you can go ahead and put that and the mag out of the way. Now look down the top or bottom of the frame (doesnít matter) and look into the shaft where the mag used to be.
You should see a small stick-like item moving into shaft of the mag catch.

Circled in red you can see it here:

Now look next to that and see a small block. Take your screw driver and push that small stick thing over until it pops out of the hole. This is a pain in the ass to get but once that little thing pops out of the hole (lol, thatís what she said) you can push the lever out. So now you should have this:

Step 3: Sand down any imperfects

Now take the new metal mag catch that you have and compare it to the old one on a side by side basis. check to make sure that they have the same angles and cuts.

Here is mine:

Now I donít know if you can see from the pictures but the new mag catch did not have as long as a port where the stick thing we talked about earlier went. This is where the drill comes in. I tried putting it in without drilling but the stick thing would not go in. After several minutes I had drilled out the port a little bit. Here is what it looked like right before I put it in:

Step 4: Install the new mag catch

Ok now that your mag catch is all sanded down and perfect you can put it in. This is basically repeating step 2. Slide the new one in and push the stick thing back into it position by getting it into the hole. I thought it was hard getting it out. But getting in seemed to be even harder!

After a while of fiddling with it I finally got it. Here is what it looked like from inside:

On the outside:

Step 5: Make sure everything works

Now slide the mag in and see how it stays. At first I could not slide it in all the way and had ot press down on the mag release button. But soon the mag started to wear down and I was able to push it in all the way.
The mag got a little scratched due to the metal mag latch but nothing too bad.

If you are having big problems with your mag getting messed up then I suggest you take it out and try to repeat step 3 and sand it down some more.

Conclusion:

So in conclusion after doing this small but tedious mod I have noticed a slight difference in the mag. It doesnít wobble as much and seems much more secure in the gun. I would suggest this to anyone who has an extended mag or has had problems with there guns mag falling out. But to sum it up it isnít quite worth it for a brand new gun using normal mags.

I hope this could help!

Wege
Forum Member
Forum Member

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2007-12-15

PostSubject: Re: How to: install metal mag catcher in glocks (5 easy steps)   Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:34 pm

Nice details.. Smile

May I suggest/recommend part 1981? from Glockmeister.com? (Magazine release.. your choice of standard or extended... I prefer extended)
the plastic magazine release makes the magazine sit a fraction high, so all you need to is file a fraction of it away.

The other benefit to it is that the notch where the rod/flat-spring slots into, is slight out of line with where the KSC notch would be. This benefit is notice in a harder/more positive pressure and release. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 137
Location, where do you live? : Walnut Creek, CA
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: How to: install metal mag catcher in glocks (5 easy steps)   Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:47 pm

Wege wrote:
Nice details.. Smile

The other benefit to it is that the notch where the rod/flat-spring slots into, is slight out of line with where the KSC notch would be. This benefit is notice in a harder/more positive pressure and release. Smile

Yes I noticed that as well. It does seem slightly stiffer than the stock one; which is nice.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to: install metal mag catcher in glocks (5 easy steps)   

Back to top Go down

How to: install metal mag catcher in glocks (5 easy steps)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1