Airsoft Gas Gun Forum

A Forum dedicated to the use and customization of high end gas rifles, hand guns and many more...

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Share | 

How to build your own functional silencer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
PxRxSxRX
The Apprentice
The Apprentice

Number of posts: 58
Location, where do you live?: Mankato, MN
Registration date: 2007-12-10

PostSubject: How to build your own functional silencer   Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:00 am

Before using the information in this thread please read the AFT rules in regards to silencers. This is essentially one of the ways commercial firearms silencers are made, I will likely create another How-To on the other way that I know how to make them later.

Okay, some information left out of my How-To that would be more specific to making it for airsoft rather than a paintball gun, or actual firearm would be the size of the inner hole in the washers, this should be slightly larger than the 6mm or the BB, I would recommend 7 to 8mm just to be safe. You may also need a drill to alter the size of the hole especially on the rear end cap for attaching the threaded barrel adapter. You may also wish to alter the design of the adapter, that would be a decision that is up to you and I assume you'll know what you're doing.

Here is the second style, the same applies to this one.

Be careful and enjoy!

Last edited by on Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wege
Forum Member
Forum Member

Number of posts: 32
Registration date: 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: How to build your own functional silencer   Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:12 am

When I had my Marushin M1910 Secret Agent Man series Nbb, it came with a completely hollow tube and hollow silencer... In effect - it was for looks. For me, not good.

Edit- I initially used the small tube that it came with, and drilled the bejesus out of it. I drilled in a direction INTO the middle and against the flow of the BB. It actually made a partial difference in tone noise. I was suprised it worked as well as it did, but it was not good enough.

I made it functional purely by adding a butt-load of foam into the tube (small, about 5-6in in length) and then using a soldering iron to burn out a tube right through the middle of it.
It made an incredible difference to the tone of a round coming out, and because it was not a high-powered NBB (even on green gas) it made a very low 'thump' coming out. About as quiet as the TM Mk23 silencer attached to the Mk23. Smile

For your rings, perhaps look at some solid rubber bushing-style washers? Or some really dense foam?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PxRxSxRX
The Apprentice
The Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: How to build your own functional silencer   Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:24 am

It's based off a real style of silencer, and by design would be all metal. (I would have said to weld everything in place, but I assumed it would be easier for most to just JB weld.) and the purpose of the "chambers" formed by the washers is to allow the air to expand and thus dissapate the sound as the BB travels though the silencer with the sound wave behind it. I see no reason that foam or rubber wouldn't work, but I had assumed in this situation the harder the dividers the better so they don't transefer vibration, but sound absorbant materials could work just as well or better... perhaps I'll later experiment on some variants of this design.

If all goes well I'll post up another style of silencer yet tonight...

Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts: 137
Location, where do you live?: Walnut Creek, CA
Registration date: 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: How to build your own functional silencer   Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:38 pm

Nice guide. The pictures are very descriptive.
Back on the washers, would you say flimsy foam or possibly a rubber material would work better? how about the thickness of the washer?

If I get the time I would be glad to follow the instructions and make one myself. I will try to take pics of the process and give a report on the sound dampening.

PxRxSxRX
The Apprentice
The Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: How to build your own functional silencer   Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:15 am

I'd appreciate that, I'll also probably try to make them both at some point as well. Both of these can be made with mock silencers as well. Which I may try to do if/when I purchas yours.

As far as the foam or rubber washers, I'm really not sure as to weather they or metal would work better, I suppose I'll have to do some experimenting at some point. Based on how it works, I could see either one working better than the other. because the metal is stiffer it would possibly dissipate the audible sound more gradually as the sound waves hit it while expanding into the chambers, where on the other hand rubber or foam would absorb the vibrations, but might also transfer some sound through them...

Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to build your own functional silencer   Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:21 am

PxRxSxRX wrote:
I'd appreciate that, I'll also probably try to make them both at some point as well. Both of these can be made with mock silencers as well. Which I may try to do if/when I purchas yours.

As far as the foam or rubber washers, I'm really not sure as to weather they or metal would work better, I suppose I'll have to do some experimenting at some point. Based on how it works, I could see either one working better than the other. because the metal is stiffer it would possibly dissipate the audible sound more gradually as the sound waves hit it while expanding into the chambers, where on the other hand rubber or foam would absorb the vibrations, but might also transfer some sound through them...

Ok, I found some nice metal piping that I can use. As far as the washers, I might go to Home Depot and see what they have there.

The only problem is getting it onto the pistol. It needs to be absolutely strait in order to substain accuracy and the blow balk would through it off balance if it wasn't secure.

Do you know of any female adapters that could possibly adapt to a 14mm male threaded barrel? The only thing I could think of it taking it off another suppressor... but that would be pointless...

PxRxSxRX
The Apprentice
The Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: How to build your own functional silencer   Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:48 am

I would suggest just taking an existing silencer to Home Depot or a hardware store and checking for a bolt or something that fits the thread size and is 14mm, then finding a fitting that fits the same, that or just taking your barrel in with you and finding the fitting that way. They should have something, perhaps in the plumbing section, or just in with the general metal hardware with the bolts, and screws and such.

Major Clucker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Number of posts: 14
Location, where do you live?: Fort Irwin
Registration date: 2007-12-20

PostSubject: Re: How to build your own functional silencer   Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:00 am

Very nice job, good job with giving pictures for details. Thanks man- I'll be doing this for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.goarmy.com/RotcViewJob.do?id=300
PxRxSxRX
The Apprentice
The Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: How to build your own functional silencer   Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:52 am

It just dawned on me late last night how to keep everyhting lined up when you do the build to assure the BB making it's journy through the silencer. Head on down to your local hobby shop and pick up a 6mm dowl rod (or close to it, and assemble everyhing on that... you may also want to go an even more safe route and get something the circumfranse of the the ouside of the inner barrel, and assemble on that.

If anyone else has any ideas please feel free to add them.

Wege
Forum Member
Forum Member

Number of posts: 32
Registration date: 2007-12-14

PostSubject: Re: How to build your own functional silencer   Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:21 pm

I would perhaps mention go for something like 7mm or 8mm dowling, because you are using the silencer as something functional, rather than a barrel extension.
If the bore is too narrow, that bb is going to find it so tough to make it through to the end. and you will end up with shattered bits in there.

Speaking of which.. IF you are going to make it of metal... how to you anticipate getting broken bb bits out?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PxRxSxRX
The Apprentice
The Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: How to build your own functional silencer   Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:21 am

With the first style, it's pretty much open in the inside so anything that can get in will fall out when it's pointed at the ground, and in the second style, there really shouldn't be much of an opportunity for a BB to break, but if one would it would have to fit through the holes from the inner barrel part into the silencer, and would likely fall out the end holes unless it's filled with sound deadening insulation in which case, I guess you could try shaking it violently or just leaving them... It could also easily be made with a threaded end so you could change the insulation or make minor modifications... if fact with the second style if one were so inclined every peice could be threaded together for optimum tear down.

Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to build your own functional silencer   Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:15 pm

I really don't think broken bb bits in the silencer would be much of a problem unless it got in the way of accuracy. But I am not sure how a bb would break in it as seeing that it is hollow to begin with and the bb should never touch the sides.

I am still gathering materials to make a silencer. Found some nice aluminum piping. I think I am going to go with the second design, maybe fill in the space with foam. I can't seem to find a pipe the right size. Might have to go with one that’s 1 to 1.5 cm wide, do you think it would still be effective?

PxRxSxRX
The Apprentice
The Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: How to build your own functional silencer   Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:09 am

I personally wouldn't reccomend foam in that design, but rather some sound deadening insulation ( I don't feel right telling you to just stal a handfull at the Home Depot or anything, but I also couldn't justify buying a whole big package of it...) or steel wool. The air needs to be able to travel into and out of the chamber of the silencer, and I think foam would impede that process a little more that it should. Insulation or steel wool will just slow the air down as it travels through.

Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to build your own functional silencer   Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:54 am

PxRxSxRX wrote:
I personally wouldn't reccomend foam in that design, but rather some sound deadening insulation ( I don't feel right telling you to just stal a handfull at the Home Depot or anything, but I also couldn't justify buying a whole big package of it...) or steel wool. The air needs to be able to travel into and out of the chamber of the silencer, and I think foam would impede that process a little more that it should. Insulation or steel wool will just slow the air down as it travels through.

Ya steel wool would be good now that you mention it. I think it is used for real guns too. I have some laying around.

PxRxSxRX
The Apprentice
The Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: How to build your own functional silencer   Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:15 am

Yep, steel wool is used in some real silencer designs... I was doing more research on the topic, and found some interesting designs that seem a little too difficult to make, but I'll see if I can figure out an easy way to make them and post it up.

I was told by an moderator on one site that these designs wouldn't work with airsoft guns because they work on a different principle than a real firearm and I had myself a little giggle. Where there wouldn't be as much sound to muffle it does exit the gun in the same manor and thus the design should function quite well. I of course didn't argue with him because I figured it was a bad idea to point out to a forum mod that they don't know what they're talking.

How to build your own functional silencer

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next