Airsoft Gas Gun Forum

A Forum dedicated to the use and customization of high end gas rifles, hand guns and many more...

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in

Share | 

How-To: Removing the Orange Tip

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 137
Location, where do you live? : Walnut Creek, CA
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: How-To: Removing the Orange Tip   Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:44 pm

How to Remove the Orange Tip:

Removing the orange tip off your airsoft replicas is fairly easy. If the orange tip is located on the slide of your GBB you can remove it using nail polish remover or paint thinner diluted in water. I am sure you can find it in somewhere in your house.

Should look something like this:

Start by disassembling the gun and taking off the slide. In this case I will be using a silencer I had laying around the house. You can see it's ugly orange tip!

To start I usually will dab the orange part with the nail polish remover or paint thinner instead of submerging it completely, this is because I do not know what effect the nail polish remover will have on the rest of the black paint and I can control it better. The best way to dab it on is a cotton ball, but if it is a small orange tip a Q-tip would work as well. Just slowly dab the orange area to get the nail polish spread over it.

Once the paint is wet, you can start to rub it off or scrape it off with your finger nail.

As you can see, there is no paint under the orange tip of my silencer. This commonly occurs in many guns including the KWA series which has an annoying white base coat under the orange. In that case you would want to just sand down the whole slide and repaint it black. For now lets pretend that there is paint underneath the orange.

You will need to reapply the nail polish remover every now and then to get it soaked.

So now letís go back to my case, there is no black paint underneath the orange. I do not want to repaint the whole silencer. So what I have done is found a flat black that matches the original black fairly good. I have also gathered up some blue tape and some sand paper.

First I want to sand it down in a circular motion so that it roughens up the metal and gives the paint enamel something to stick to. I usually use a 400 grit sand paper for this. But anything in the 800 grit would work as well. So it should look something like this:

Next we tape it all up, using a knife to precisely cut it along the edges.

After we have taped it all up I take it out side to an open area and spray an enamel base coat. After the enamel has dried I then re sand it with 1000-1500 grit sand paper to soften it up. After this has been dusted off I then apply another final coat of enamel.

After the enamel is in place and has dried. It is time for the final coat. Spray it lightly and swing the spray can around as to not have the paint settle in one area. Let this dry for a little while.
The finished product:

The same thing that I did with this silencer can also go for mostly any GBB slide or rifle barrel.
Please keep check on your law and realize that the removal of the orange tip may be illegal in the area you live in. Once the orange tip is removed, play safe and donít show your replica in the public.

I hope this helped!

Major Clucker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Number of posts : 14
Location, where do you live? : Fort Irwin
Registration date : 2007-12-20

PostSubject: Re: How-To: Removing the Orange Tip   Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:01 am

Awesome, another good post by you- I'll be doing this one for sure, just gotta buy some nail polish remover =P.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.goarmy.com/RotcViewJob.do?id=300
Brokenose2
New Guy
New Guy

Number of posts : 6
Location, where do you live? : Spanish Fort, Al
Registration date : 2007-12-13

PostSubject: Re: How-To: Removing the Orange Tip   Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:54 am

Just make sure, whenever you take the orange tip pff, you are submiting youself to the fact the the cops might feel threahtened and shoot you.

Nice job!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hkssr20det
Gun Smith
Gun Smith

Number of posts : 99
Location, where do you live? : Berkeley, CA
Registration date : 2007-12-09

PostSubject: Re: How-To: Removing the Orange Tip   Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:23 am

Another useful tool the Goof Off. It can be found in any hardware store, but be careful it is stronger than nail polish remover or other things. Just use a soft cloth and wipe the orange off. Also, it is noxious, so do it in a well ventilated area or outside.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How-To: Removing the Orange Tip   

Back to top Go down

How-To: Removing the Orange Tip
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1